- REMEMBER: Most marketers will have a better chance of long term success if they focus on the fundamentals of web traffic instead of all the other stuff. (This lesson is NOT the fundamentals)
- Any “tactic” could disappear at any time. We’ve recently seen this happen as a result of the Google Penguin update.
- WARNING: A lot of what I cover in this lesson could potentially hurt your search engine rankings, especially if you do it aggressively, or if it’s not balanced with a lot of high quality linking. Be sure to watch the video if you are concerned about SEO. (I go into more detail throughout the video)Sources of Free Web Traffic:
- Forum Marketing- Join the biggest forums in your niche.
- Search Google for “discussions” in your niche.
- Establish yourself as an authority by providing valuable posts to the forum.
- Answer people’s questions.
- Have a good signature, with an enticing link, such as a link to a freebie.Forum Search Engines:
boardtracker.com (used to be my favorite, but it’s been under construction for awhile)
- Blogs- Blogs (and particularly WordPress blogs on your own domain) are well suited for SEO.- I recommend this web host for 1-click WordPress installation. Coupon code: ERICSTIPSCOUPON (See also lesson #24 and lesson #33)
- Best way to get blog traffic is to create incredible content.
- Create “link bait” (See lesson #78)
- Write something highly controversial.
- Utilize trackback links as a form of conversation marketing with other bloggers.
- Particpate in blog carnivals. See blogcarnival.com
- Host your own blog carnival.
- Leave comments on other peoples’ blogs. (Do NOT spam or use automation)
- Expand your reach through RSS feed syndication.
RSS Feed Aggregators:
(search for niche specific aggregators, such as pfblogs.com)
Submit to curation sites, such as alltop.com
blogher.com (for women only)
Pligg sites (also Scuttle, phpDug, and PublicBookmark):
dzone.com (web development related)
(There are literally thousands of these kind of sites. Search for some in your niche.)
See also: pligg.com/gallery/
News Aggregation and other Curation Sites:
imnewswatch.com (Internet Marketing only)
(search for some in your niche)
- Guest Bloggingmyblogguest.com is a community where you can find places to be a guest blogger.Some guest blogging or guest article opportunities:
(There are thousands of places where you can potentially be a guest blogger! Search for blogs in your niche)
See video for explanation of guest blogging vs. article marketing.
- Tutorial SitesEhow.com
Tutorialized.com (Web design and marketing)
tutorial-index.com (photoshop, coding, video, etc)
tutorial-center.com (computer related)
tutorialsphere.com (web, video, audio, etc)
tutorialsgarden.com (photoshop & coding)
fstutorials.com (Web design)
noupe.com (Graphics related)
(there are dozens more)udemy.com is a good place for online courses. You can give them away for free OR sell them. Some people are making a lot of money with Udemy. See video for details.
www.learni.st is an interesting new social site that is similar to pinterest, but with an emphasis on education.
- Document Sharing Sitesscribd.com
pdfcast.org (for PDF’s)
- General File Sharing SitesSee the video for the list of sites, and explanation. This is a sneaky way to tap into traffic from the file sharing world. This is not something I “recommend”, which is why I’d rather not list these sites on my blog.
- Slideshow Sharing Sitesslideshare.net
- Ebook Sharing Sites and Directoriesfree-ebooks.net
ebookjunkie.com (Free ebooks category)
ebookmall.com (Free ebooks category)
Amazon.com (Kindle version)See lesson #47 for how to create an ebook.
- Submit Free Software to Software DirectoriesDo a Google search for search for “free software”, freeware, and shareware, and you’ll find plenty of directories.www.dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Freeware/Directories/ (76 freeware directories)
www.dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Shareware/Directories/ (221 shareware directories)
- Submit Coupons to Coupon DirectoriesCoupon Magic (Creates coupons for ClickBank products)
Amember(Membership site script with built-in coupon function)bensbargains.com
(and many more)
- Podcasting Sitesallpodcasts.com
feeds4all.com (podcast category)
- Free Press Release Sites1888pressrelease.com
downloadjunction.com (software related)
- Free Classified Adsablewise.com
- Free Directories01webdirectory.com
gmdir.com (Your site must use Google maps)
smartlinks.org (submit via email)
(Do a search to find niche-specific directories)
- Social Bookmarkingsocialmarker.com is a free site that you can use to automate your social bookmarking.delicious.com
Reddit.com (manual submission recommended)
(More social bookmarking sites on wikipedia)
- Q&A Sitesable2know.org
answers.yahoo.com is probably the most popular Q&A site currently.
linkedin.com/answers (talked about in lesson #82)
quomon.com (tech related)
stackoverflow.com (programming related)
- Other social media & web 2.0 sites we haven’t covered yetHubs:
gather.comPlaces to build free pages & blogs (and post on others):
Wiki-type of sites:
reviews.ebay.com (Write guides)
Interactive sites powered by Ning (Search for sites in your niche)
- Traffic Exchanges(aka Click Exchanges, Popup Exchanges, Autosurf Sites, etc.)I recommend NOT buying credits or upgrading your account, unless you just want to artifically inflate your traffic stats.Traffic Exchanges:
Pop-Up & Exit Ad Exchanges:
(and many more – just search for them)
Remember this is for free banner exchanges. Not recommended sources for buying banners. For more info about banner advertising see media buying in lesson #75.
- Traffic Toolbarsfreetrafficbar.com
- Viral URL Cloakersezadexchange.com
su.pr – is one to use if you’re a StumbleUpon user.
viralurl.com – is a popular one in the Internet marketing communityURL cloakers that pay cash for clicks:
- Free Safelistsactivesafelist.com
xtrememailer.comsafelistrankings.com (over 400 safelists listed)
- Reminder about free traffic tactics from lesson #67:- Giveaway Events (aka JV giveaways)
- Thank You Page Ad Swaps
- Host a Contest
- Give Out Website Awards-Have a nice little graphic created.
-Award it to all the top sites in your niche.
-Give them a snippet of code to post the award on their site, with a link back to your site.
- News & Publicity- Be newsworthy.
- If you have a successful online business, that may be newsworthy!
- Contact your local newspaper.
- Conduct a publicity stunt! (Can result in millions of dollars worth of publicity)
- Do NOT do anything illegal or hurtful.
- Word of Mouth Marketing (aka Buzz)There’s compelling evidence that Word of Mouth marketing is the most powerful form of marketing in our society.- Provide good service.
- Underpromise and overdeliver.
- Be controversial.
- Have a tell-a-friend form.
- Put your link in the signature of all your emails.
- Make your customers feel valued.
- Build a relationship with customers.
- Be buzzworthy!
(See video for examples of Viral Email)
1) Decide whether you want to focus on the “free traffic” route.
2) Decide whether SEO is a priority for you, and keep that in mind as you employ tactics that may positively or negatively impact your SEO.
3) If you decide to employ any of these traffic strategies, choose one and start with it.
In the next lesson we’ll be looking at affiliate driven traffic.
As always, you are welcome to post your questions and comments below
Have a great day!